Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Making the Dough


Ben claims he makes the "dough", and I make the bread. "Well, guess what Mister! I make both!" haha... but I don't mind at all because I was given the gift of a Bosch
It absolutely changed my life. In the past, I have attempted to make bread by hand. Its a work out. And the results were so-so. Nothing I'd tell my mom about. (he he.) But I was given this Bosch, and a great bread recipe from my mom. Those two things combined changed my whole perspective on making bread. (That and the grinder, and whole wheat I'm using. Wow.)

So, if you want to have a delicious loaf of bread that would make Great Harvest jealous, go buy a Bosch, a grinder, and some hard white wheat. When you do, come back here, and use this recipe. You will be so proud of yourself.

Before I share the recipe, there are some important things you must know to save yourself some stress. (And avoid the mistakes that I made.)

1. Your Bosch is designed to make two loaves of bread. If you only have one bread pan, go buy another, and avoid the mistake of trying to mix just one loaf in the Bosch.

2. To get 8 cups of whole wheat flour, grind 6 cups of wheat.

3. Follow the recipe closely when it says to add a cup of flour. It is added just a few cups at a time, and you don't want to miss one, or you will have sticky dough.

Now, the recipe:

Whole Wheat Bread

3 c. hot water
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. honey
1 1/2 T. vinegar
2 1/2 T. yeast
2 1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. gluten flour
8 c. wheat flour

Put water, gluten flour, oil, then honey into the mixer. (In this order, you use only one measuring cup!) Add yeast, vinegar, and 4 cups of wheat flour. Turn on machine to 1. When mixed, turn speed to 2. Add 2 cups of flour as it is running. Add salt. Add 1 cup of flour. For the last 1 cup of flour add 1/3 c. at a time. Stop when dough cleans from the side of the bowl.

Let machine run 10 minutes to knead the dough. Divide dough in half. Form a loaf with your hand. Grease pans. Pound/push dough into the loaf pan to remove bubbles. Raise until 1/2" above the pan. (About 30 minutes) Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (If using a dark or nonstick pan, reduce temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 35 minutes) Immediately remove from the pan.

And try and see if you can wait till it cools before you cut off a slice. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment