Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Apple Pie Pancakes

I have to start by saying that this was one of my own original creations. The idea came to me when I was trying to figure out how to make pancakes healthier. There is no nutritional value in butter and syrup! I had to put something else on top. After eating them a few times, I've decided how I really like them. So here is a recipe for you!

Apple Pie Pancakes

Start with your favorite pancake recipe. Mine is one that I found on the side of the powdered buttermilk can. (Sa Co Cultured Buttermilk Blend found in the baking section of the store)

You also need:

1-2 containers of applesauce (4 oz.)- buy the unsweetened. You will feel healthier, and you'll be sweetening it up anyway... just wait.

AND

Cinnamon & Sugar- If you need to mix it up yourself, a good ratio is 1 T. of sugar: 1 tsp. cinnamon

AND

Whipped Cream - Do yourself a favor and buy the Reddi Whip. It is so much better. Expensive, but amazing.


So... Start by making your pancakes:

4 Tbsp. SACO Buttermilk Blend
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 cup water
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

NOTE: If you don't have powdered butter milk, omit the 4 T. of buttermilk blend, and 1 c. water, and replace it with 1 cup of real buttermilk, or sour milk (Milk and lemon juice)

Sift dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl. Add beaten egg, water and oil. Beat just until batter is smooth. Do not overbeat! Drop from a spoon onto a hot griddle and cook until top is full of tiny bubbles and the underside is brown. Turn and brown on the other side.
Makes 10 4-inch pancakes

After you make your pancakes

Take a 1/2 cup container of applesauce and remove the lid (because its not microwaveable) Microwave the applesauce for 20-30 seconds. Spoon desired amount of applesauce onto the top of your pancakes. Sprinkle with Cinnamon & Sugar, and top with whipped cream.

It will make your mouth smile to think you are having pie for breakfast!

I don't have any pictures, but the next time I make them (very soon... ) I will take a picture. I ate them too fast this morning to even think about taking a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment