Saturday, July 23, 2011

Strawberry Pie



Well, I can't say I just made this pie. I made it back in May. I've been slacking on the blogging for May, June and July. Doesn't mean I didn't indulge! So... the recipe. This recipe is a family recipe so to say. It is my father-in-law's, cousin's recipe. (Daryl Kottas) The one thing I love about it is the oil crust. It was kind of fun to do something different, and keep the pastry blender in the drawer for once. Whether it was better than a shortening crust, I can't say.

Strawberry Pie

Crust:

Mix the following with fork:

1 1/3 c. flour

1/3 c. oil

3 tbs milk

1 tsp salt

Roll out on wax paper for 9” pie (he rolls between 2 sheets)

Bake 8 min. @ 475o

Cool completely then dust crust with powdered sugar

Filling:

Cook the following until clear, gel (boils a little)

2 c chopped strawberries

1 c sugar

3 tbs corn starch

Then add 1 tbs lemon juice

Cool filling completely.

Fill crust with abt 12 whole strawberries then pour filling over top.

This was the recipe as dictated by Daryl himself. I would make two notes. The crust seemed very salty, so I would go easy on the salt. And also, when you mix the filling THERE IS NO LIQUID. It is sugar coated strawberries. So you didn't miss anything. As you stir, the juice from the strawberries creates a yummy sauce. If you look at my pictures, the pie isn't very full. So I'm sure you can add more strawberries. A very yummy treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment