Saturday, July 23, 2011

Strawberry Heaven

So (sometimes) I like to indulge in sweet things that are purchased. Its so nice to not have to do the dishes, and stand in a hot kitchen. lol! So, I've been to Truly Madly Sweetly, a local bake shop. After tasting 7 of their different cupcakes, Strawberry Hill is my favorite. Its a devil's food cake (the store sign said dark chocolate?!?) with a strawberry buttercream. Oooo baby! Its heaven on earth. So, I decided instead of spending $3 on one cupcake, I could get about 24 for the same price. Here is how I tackled the job: 1 Devil's Food Betty Crocker cake mix, and 1 recipe for Strawberry Buttercream Frosting.

There are a lot of recipes out there for strawberry buttercream, but I found the best one. ***I will stop you right here though: it uses prepared jam. I make my jam, and it has little bits of strawberries in it. So I think it would turn out better than store bought jam. That stuff has an after taste, and homemade just tastes like fresh strawberries to me. So, make some jam, or hit up a friend who makes jam.

Anyway... here is the recipe... in Alicia step by step instructions so you can get a fluffy frosting without that weird separated look. (Maybe its only me that had that result before.) When you want a whipped frosting, there is a proper stage to whip it. And it is not at the end. That is what separates the frosting.

Strawberry Buttercream Frosting:

1 cup (2 sticks) Butter
*Optional: A pint of coarse salt
2 1/2 -3 cups powdered sugar
4 T. strawberry jam
1 t. vanilla

Bean butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy (Looks like the consistency of frosting) Next add powdered sugar. Beat until combined. Add strawberries and vanilla just until combined. DO NOT overmix.

For me it frosted 12 cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes, so possibly 24 regular sized cupcakes.

Pipe it on top of the cupcakes to get the professional look.


And the best part of these cupcakes? The cupcake is light and fluffy! Every cupcake shop I've been to must use shortening because the end result of the cake is kind of dense and greasy. You can only eat one without feeling sick...


Now do yourself a favor and share with a friend. ; )

1 comment:

  1. Yes, these were delicious!

    You did it! Update complete. Now you must start pinterest. You are on my board :)

    ReplyDelete